The term “technical translation” can be understood in two ways:
- In its broadest sense, it is about translating user manuals, instructions leaflets, internal notes, medical translation, financial reports, minutes of proceedings, administrative terms in general, and so forth. These documents share the distinction of being for a specific and limited target audience and usually have a limited shelf-life.
- In its most limited sense, technical translation refers to “technical” documentation such as engineering, IT, electronics, mechanics, and industrial texts in general. Technical translation requires a knowledge of the specialized terminology used in the sector of the source text.
Technical Document Translation
The following are examples of technical documents that we frequently translate:
- Installation, operator, maintenance and user manuals
- Material Data Safety Sheets (MSDS)
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPS)
- Technical drawings
- Engineering texts
- Manuals for machine tools and other machines
- Descriptions and technical data sheets
- User guides
- Technical instructions
- Instruction books